10 Great Kindle ReadsJason Firmager
Kindle apps are free, and books are available now in print and more so online than ever… a great way to get your reading, research and CPD in whilst on the beach, travelling on when the work computer is switched off. So here are HTM’s top ten Kindle reads this week… ENJOY your reading!
- What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions [Kindle Edition] by Randall Munroe... Science’s most intriguing questions answered by the web’s favourite writer, the genius behind xkcd.com. From the creator of the wildly popular xkcd.com, hilarious and informative answers to important questions you probably never thought to ask. Millions visit xkcd.com each week to read Randall Munroe’s iconic webcomic. Fans ask him a lot of strange questions: How fast can you hit a speed bump, driving, and live? When (if ever) did the sun go down on the British Empire? When will Facebook contain more profiles of dead people than living? How many humans would a T Rex rampaging through New York need to eat a day? In pursuit of answers, Munroe runs computer simulations, pores over stacks of declassified military research memos, solves differential equations and consults nuclear reactor operators. His responses are masterpieces of clarity and hilarity, complemented by comics. They often predict the complete annihilation of humankind, or at least a really big explosion.
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind [Kindle Edition] by Yuval Noah Harari… 100,000 years ago, at least six human species inhabited the earth. Today there is just one. Us. Homo sapiens. How did our species succeed in the battle for dominance? Why did our foraging ancestors come together to create cities and kingdoms? How did we come to believe in gods, nations and human rights; to trust money, books and laws; and to be enslaved by bureaucracy, timetables and consumerism? And what will our world be like in the millennia to come? In Sapiens, Dr Yuval Noah Harari spans the whole of human history, from the very first humans to walk the earth to the radical – and sometimes devastating – breakthroughs of the Cognitive, Agricultural and Scientific Revolutions. Drawing on insights from biology, anthropology, palaeontology and economics, he explores how the currents of history have shaped our human societies, the animals and plants around us, and even our personalities. Have we become happier as history has unfolded? Can we ever free our behaviour from the heritage of our ancestors? And what, if anything, can we do to influence the course of the centuries to come?
- Happiness by Design: Finding Pleasure and Purpose in Everyday Life [Kindle Edition] by Paul Dolan… As a Professor of Behavioural Science at the London School of Economics, Dolan conducts original research into the measurement of happiness and its causes and consequences, including the effects of our behaviour. Here he creates a new outlook on the pursuit of happiness – it’s not just how you feel, it’s how you act. Happiness by Design shows that being happier requires us to actively re-design our immediate environment. Enough has been written on how to think happy. Happiness by Design is about how to behave happy and how to incorporate the most recent research findings into our everyday lives.
- Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found (Oprah’s Book Club 2.0) [Kindle Edition] by Cheryl Straye… Selected to be read on Radio Four’s Book of the Week. ‘One of the best books I’ve read in the last five or ten years… Wild is angry, brave, sad, self-knowing, redemptive, raw, compelling, and brilliantly written, and I think it’s destined to be loved by a lot of people, men and women, for a very long time.’ –Nick Hornby At twenty-six, Cheryl Strayed thought she had lost everything. In the wake of her mother’s rapid death from cancer, her family disbanded and her marriage crumbled. With nothing to lose, she made the most impulsive decision of her life: to walk eleven-hundred miles of the west coast of America – from the Mojave Desert, through California and Oregon, and into Washington state – and to do it alone. She had no experience of long-distance hiking and the journey was nothing more than a line on a map. But it held a promise – a promise of piecing together a life that lay in ruins at her feet. Strayed’s account captures the agonies – both mental and physical – of her incredible journey; how it maddened and terrified her, and how, ultimately, it healed her. Wild is a brutal memoir of survival, grief and redemption: a searing portrayal of life at its lowest ebb and at its highest tide.
- The Fault in Our Stars [Kindle Edition] by John Green… John Green’s witty yet heart-breaking tour de force. The multi-million #1 bestseller, now a major motion picture starring Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort. “I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once.”
- Travelling to Work: Diaries 1988-1998 (Palin Diaries 3) [Kindle Edition] by Michael Palin... TRAVELLING TO WORK is the third volume of Michael Palin’s widely acclaimed diaries. After the Python years and a decade of filming, writing and acting, Palin’s career takes an unexpected detour into travel, which will shape his working life for the next 25 years. Yet, as the diaries reveal, he remained ferociously busy on a host of other projects throughout this whirlwind period. TRAVELLING TO WORK opens in September 1988 with Michael travelling down the Adriatic on the first leg of a modern-day AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS. He was not the BBC’s first choice for the series, but after its success and that of the accompanying book the public naturally wanted more. Palin, though, had other plans. Following the tumultuous success of A FISH CALLED WANDA, he is in demand as an actor. His next film, AMERICAN FRIENDS, is based on his great-grandfather’s diaries. Next he takes on his most demanding role as the head teacher in Alan Bleasdale’s award-winning drama series GBH. There is also his West End play, THE WEEKEND, and a first novel, HEMINGWAY’S CHAIR, and a lead role in FIERCE CREATURES, the much-delayed follow-up to WANDA. Michael describes himself as ‘drawn to risk like a moth to a flame. Someone grounded and safe who can be tempted into almost anything.’ He duly finds time for two more travel series, POLE TO POLE in 1991, FULL CIRCLE in 1996, and two more bestselling books to accompany them. These latest diaries show a man grasping every opportunity that came his way, and they deal candidly with the doubts and setbacks that accompany this prodigious work-rate. As ever, his family life, with three children growing up fast, is there to anchor him. TRAVELLING TO WORK is a roller-coaster ride driven by the Palin hallmarks of curiosity and sense of adventure. These ten years in different directions offer riches on every page to his ever-growing army of fans.
- The Perception Deception – Part One [Kindle Edition] by David Icke… David Icke, the world’s most controversial author, has spent the last quarter of a century unravelling the secrets of the Universe, reality and the forces that manipulate our world. What was once ridiculed and dismissed is now being confirmed again and again as Icke, a figure of fun for so long, is acknowledged as a man way ahead of his time.
- kNot: Entanglement with a Celebrity: a memoir by a woman… Sometimes one has to relive events in one’s life in order to process them. To better understand them. To move on from them. kNot is a true story about a young woman (author) who gets tangled up in a relationship with the famous comedian-actor, Russell Brand. Having initially embarked on what she believed to be a frivolous affair or fun escapism, actually, rapidly turns into a knot of control, codependence, sex addiction and confused emotion. In this book Dina embarks on a healing journey, where she visits an unexpected therapist in order to shed her skin from this past unhealthy relationship. She is thrown into memory recall, re-experiencing what has already been, and cannot be changed – the things that are seemingly ordinary in relationships, but are actually unacceptable and damaging. Dina begins to lose her self in her fame hungry boyfriend’s world of expectation and judgment, and the effects still linger after they have broken up. She knows she must learn from her past, before she too, ends up being consumed by her darker self…
- Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali [Kindle Edition] by B. K. S. Iyengar… Note that due to the limitations of some ereading devices not all diacritical marks can be shown. BKS Iyengar’s translation and commentary on these ancient yoga sutras has been described as the “bible” of yoga. This edition contains an introduction by BKS Iyengar, as well as a foreword by Godfrey Devereux, author of Dynamic Yoga. Patanjali wrote this collection of yoga wisdom over 2,000 years ago. They are amongst the world’s most revered and ancient teachings and are the earliest, most holy yoga reference. The Sutras are short and to the point – each being only a line or two long. BKS Iyengar has translated each one, and provided his own insightful commentary and explanation for modern readers. The Sutras show the reader how we can transform ourselves through the practice of yoga, gradually developing the mind, body and emotions, so we can become spiritually evolved. The Sutras are also a wonderful introduction to the spiritual philosophy that is the foundation of yoga practise. The book is thoroughly cross-referenced, and indexed, resulting in an accessible and helpful book that is of immense value both to students of Indian philosophy and practitioners of yoga.
- The Holistic Beauty Book: With Over 100 Natural Recipes for Gorgeous, Healthy Skin [Kindle Edition] by Star Khechara... Do you: like to use only the best, chemical-free, hand-made holistic potions? Have sensitive skin and need very pure beauty products? Want to use ethical and environmentally friendly cosmetics? Then why not make your own? DIY skincare is fun, easy and empowering. The Holistic Beauty Book is packed with safe, 100% natural, organic, eco-friendly skincare potions that you can make at home, and that are luxurious yet affordable. It also includes healthy recipe ideas so you can feed your skin from the inside. Indulge in gorgeous body butters and bath scrubs, and pamper yourself with face masks, moisturisers and massage bars. This book gives you all you need to create fabulous cosmetics that will help you care for your skin and the environment at the same time. The Holistic Beauty Book includes recipes for lip balms, face creams, body butters, massage bars, bath melts, scrubs, cleansers, babycare products, moisturisers, facial toners, masks and packs, and much more.
(Links direct to Amazon books, and descriptions taken from book pages)